This is the third oldest operating hotel in Adelaide using its original licence.
William Joule opened the Royal Oak and Miner's Arms on January 31 1838, four months after arriving on the ship Lady Emma. In December1838, it became The Royal Oak.In 1840, Licencee,Thomas Hornsby,held musical evenings every night called "harmonics". Until the 1850's, it was a brick and part timber structure, reputedly a Manning House, shipped with pioneers from England.
Owner-brewers,Syme and Sison, rebuilt the hotel in 1880 to designs by English & Soward. Subsequent highlights included the first parade by a British Monarch, George V, past its doors and the erection of the West End Brewery in Hindley Street just to the west. Rumours of a hose from the brewery to the cellars of the hotel are unfounded but nevetheless conceivable.
In 1941 architects, Evans Bruer & Hall, remodlled it for the conditions of the 6 o'clock swill period(1916-1967) by creating large bars and impervious surfaces. As part of these renovations, an adjacent 1880's building was cleverly hidden behind the fashionable rendering of the period. From 1993, the hotel was known as the Bijou until the current owners, named it The Worldsend in 1996.
The Worldsend, markets its traditional front bar, featuring great food, great music and great atmosphere. If you want pokies and TAB - try somewhere else.
Evan and James Katsaros continue to operate the hotel, establishing a close connection with the Arts and the University of SA community. The Worldsend is officially recognised as the "university pub" and has been a vital part of the West End supporting The Fringe, SALA, Arts West and Student Graduation Exhibitions and Graduations. Evan is a former Vice-President of the West End Association and James is on the executive and is passionate about the emergence of the precinct and its historical, cultural and commercial importance to the City of Adelaide.